Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Products that exist in your comic's universe.
Pages: 1 2
"Products that exist in your comic's universe.", 11 days ago, 12:08 PM #1

Because Mysterious Missouri involves humans and supernatural creatures living side-by-side, your average trip to the store is gonna look a little different.
"Practically Human" is a fortified pork product for ghouls who want the nutrients of human flesh, but maybe don't feel comfortable eating humans any more. Dot is not among them. Give her the real thing any day.

"Spirit Cleanse" is a ectoplasm shampoo, for when your ghost pet comes back smelling like they rolled in something dead!

What are things someone is likely to finding shopping in your comic's neck of the woods?
11 days ago, 12:21 PM #2
but bob just wants to be friends
One of Taylor’s most favorite things in the entire universe is Foose, a brand of sparkling juice found on the planet Felicity. The classic flavor of Foose is Pashango (a mixture fruit of passion fruit and mango).

(Spoilered for space and loading)

Taylor may like it just a taaaaaaaaad bit too much.

11 days ago, 12:49 PM #3
Coming up with fake products is half the fun of being a creator...of anything. Here's some I've come up with:

-A-taco-lypse Now: the horror...the horror...of a blown out colon. Fast Mexican food joint.

-McDeath's: another fast food shithole. Undertakers are lovin' it.

-Sonmari Inc.: manufacturers of a lot of things, but best known for their video game consoles. The name is a corruption of an infamous NES bootleg of Sonic 1 where you play as Mario.

-Detharettes: cigarette brand that doesn't try to hide the fact that their product is addictive and kills people. Some of their slogans: "Because goddamnit, you need a cigarette", "Betcha can't smoke just one", "Hook 'em while they're young", "The all-natural nicotine delivery system".
Buskers, my music project, located here.
11 days ago, 1:48 PM #4
bite sized, bite inclined
By that point too many to count. (Many of the brands me and my collaborators for crossovers came up with can be found here.)

Most important to my comic's lore however is without a doubt the toy company Timmy's ToyCo!
11 days ago, 1:58 PM #5
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
I put a slurm vending machine in kne page....with Slurms McKenzy on the side.

Also

During the zombie apocalypse some cocoa bean farmer is locked away with nothing to do but cross-pollinate and selectively breed new kinds of chocolate.

People drink new flavours of hot chocolate and talk about it as the world is rebuilt, in the current version of The Restless Dead's epilogue...but who knows how I'll feel about that in 2029
11 days ago, 2:14 PM #6
So far there's Meta-Cola (fit for human consumption, but good enough for a metahuman!) and Cheese-58 (based on the actual name for a cheese flavour additive I've seen on a box of some really nasty cheese biscuits).
11 days ago, 2:25 PM #7

My Magic Grandpa has a rule of having pretty much everything we have except with alternate names, even cities.
But here's some product renames I have:

Pepsi – Bepsea
Sprite- Nymph
Mountain Dew – Valley Mist
Burger King – King Burg's Grill
Mc Donalds – Mc. Derdles
Powell's – Booktropolis
Starbucks – Luna Doe's Coffee
Windows – Skylight
Macintosh – Meyer

MEDIA
Discovery Channel- Exploration Station
Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Scruffy the Zombie Hunting Lumberjack
Series of Unfortunate Events - Tangerinett Sneery's An Archive of Bad Happensance
Goosebumps- Heebie Jeebies “Readers be wary, it's going to get scary.”
Magic School Bus - The Enchanted Schoolhouse with Ms. Crimple [1985 books, 1994 show]
Harry Potter - Larry Carver [Magician's Academy, muggles=Humdums, School is 'Boarboils'
Disney [Walty Weasel] – Walty Studios
Barney – Narby the Dragon
Mary Poppins – Molly Pippins
11 days ago, 2:35 PM #8
I randomly used the name Bodkins as a replacement for Tesco (a supermarket in the UK), and now use it everywhere.
At the moment I'm working "like crazy" (at least compared to my normal speed) on Fiasco, which is set in the same universe as Genshiken and (incidentally, but ironically more prominently) Bakuman. It features various fake manga and anime from those franchises, mainly Kujibiki Unbalance from Genshiken, and Crow from Bakuman (which, in the world of Fiasco, is as famous as Naruto and One Piece). My "holy trinity of comics about nerds" is rounded out by The Eltingville Club, and Fiasco also mentions Sick Mofo films from that.
In Genshiken, they off-handedly mentioned Bakuman as Pakuman. In Fiasco I might make "Pakuman" an actual manga, about "these two guys who create a famous manga about a killer notebook... a killer notebook? Like anybody would read that".
Back in the day I also used the fake names of cars from the GTA and Mafia games, but now just tend to use real ones. I try to put references in registration numbers, too.
I also once or twice wanted to have a fast food chain called McTavish, which has a tartan logo and serves haggis.
11 days ago, 3:07 PM #9

Alcatraz High School is sponsored by Poopsie Cola, and they are determined to give the kids tooth decay and diabetes when they’re older. The corporation behind Poopsie Cola actually also owns a chain of dental offices and sells dental insurance, so they drum up business with their acidic tooth decaying drinks. We’ll see more behind this conspiracy later on. You can see some of their sinister vending machines on this page.
11 days ago, 3:14 PM #10

This is not specifically from the comic (it's a pre-industrial setting), but Faelumbre does have one estabilished card game called Abyssal Clash.
On the surface, is a Triple Triad clone with extra mechanics, various board sizes, with a main focus on cartoonish eldritch horrors, but it holds a bigger purpose - because Faelumbre is under constant threat from the elder Outer Beings, it's an actual government strategy to keep updating the game, because getting used to known beings and the general aesthetic of cosmic horror allows for less damage during an invasion.
Turns out, if you already know 1% of the things man was not meant to know, you're less likely to go mad!
11 days ago, 3:52 PM #11

"Captain Bell's Chicken Fried Pizza", "Blimpway", "Pizza Jeff" and "Shock Rock Fee's" are among Mysterious Missouri's fast food establishments.
11 days ago, 4:29 PM #12
the one doing the crushing
Krazy Noodles, which are so starchy that they’re Gideon’s sculpting medium of choice. He doesn’t use the cheese packets that come with them in his sculpting.

There’s also Sour Gummeez, Moose Chunxx ice cream, and Cheez breadsticks.
11 days ago, 7:08 PM #13
Bird Keeper
There is a lot of products in Cupcake War Machine that only exist there because the year is 30XX though one that stands out is the edible 3D printer; it prints edible wrappers for muffins, cupcakes and decorations.
11 days ago, 7:21 PM #14
*not actually a webcomic
hokay, here we go, the brands of Davidsville

Most prominent is Crappi Coffee, the massively popular coffee chain of which we've seen four of the 381 Greater Davidsviller Area locations in the strip, it's prominent enough that two of my main cast members work for it

There's Norton Northingtons, which hasn't been seen as much in more recent strips, but is prominent in a handful of earlier strips, it's your common department store, like Macy's or Dillard's

Of course Davidsville has a local supermarket chain, that role is filled by Eeby Deeby, whose store brand items are either weird, terrible, or both

In need of some upscale fine dining? Then check out Mjark's, which has appeared a grand total of twice in the series (strip 11 and strip 172, the Arc 6 Finale)

Across the street from the 20th Ave. Crappi Coffee (the one where Bob and Alex work) lies Bookmoore's, the book shop where Robyn and Sunny work

And finally, this one has yet to show up in the strip, but it'll get its chance to shine briefly in Arc 8, the Fashion Roost Collective, an independent fashion design studio/storefront formed by a handful of ex-Norton Northingtons employees

Ah, the worldbuilding of a slice-of-life series
11 days ago, 7:24 PM #15
Another one: FAD. What is FAD? No one knows, but you and all your friends must buy it because FOMO for the next two weeks.
Buskers, my music project, located here.
11 days ago, 7:30 PM #16
my dad could derange your dad
Tagentville has a generic fast food chain called Jumbo Burger. The Uranusians have some offworld products (like Fleeb cola and Glurm, which is a spicy lunchmeat from Neptune) for sale at their convenience store.
11 days ago, 7:44 PM #17
most of my comics have "Lux Torpeda" and it's always a chain of some sorts either fast-food restaurants, supermarkets or like... gas stations etc.

Also... most of my comics have a mysterious symbol that is often accompanied with words such as "warning", "watch out" or "join us".

Are all of my comics in shared universe, or am I just too lazy? I guess we'll never know!
11 days ago, 9:19 PM #18

In Hyacinth and Sal, "Disorganoise" is the name of a board game that is touted as "the world's loudest game."

Much to most of the characters' dismay.
11 days ago, 9:31 PM #19
my dad could derange your dad
I forgot about games! Tagentville includes the Dungeon Bunnies board game and Scimitar Online for PC.
11 days ago, 9:33 PM #20

Out of curiosity, was it difficult to name your games? I'm a little embarrassed to reveal that I think it took me a few hours to settle with "Disorganoise."
Pages: 1 2