Forum > General discussion > ComicFury app
Pages: 1 2
"ComicFury app", 19th Nov 2022, 12:42 PM #1

I don't know whether this is an outdated topic or not, but are there any plans to develop a ComicFury app? I feel like it would better the reach of the website's comics, even if at the cost of having to use Scroll View only.
19th Nov 2022, 12:54 PM #2
Mooderator
The short answer is there isn't, I'll list some of the reasons I remember:

comic fury is really built by just one dude- it would be a huge investment of at the very least time that could be spent doing the regular maintenance and improvements on the site

Having an app would require the app being in the app store, which would result in restrictions of the kind of content allowed*

And just from a more subjective point of view, the other "big name" webcomic sites already have apps, and having an app would create a split in the community that would really change the creator-friendly way this whole site works. Apps tend to make things great for readers but lousy for creators (with the perks being "more readers" and "possibly money if you're in a xertain echelon of content", tempered by "lower actual reader engagement" and "no money and no exposure/promotion for the vast majority of creators")

*this is the biggest reason and probably the most important. Fan works and anything that shows a butt crack or hint of a breast would be no longer allowed
19th Nov 2022, 1:12 PM #3
saw what you did
comicfury being an app completely goes against the idea of custom sites. you'd be forced to use the same format everyone else is using.
19th Nov 2022, 1:22 PM #4

mitchellbravo:The short answer is there isn't, I'll list some of the reasons I remember:

comic fury is really built by just one dude- it would be a huge investment of at the very least time that could be spent doing the regular maintenance and improvements on the site

Having an app would require the app being in the app store, which would result in restrictions of the kind of content allowed*

And just from a more subjective point of view, the other "big name" webcomic sites already have apps, and having an app would create a split in the community that would really change the creator-friendly way this whole site works. Apps tend to make things great for readers but lousy for creators (with the perks being "more readers" and "possibly money if you're in a xertain echelon of content", tempered by "lower actual reader engagement" and "no money and no exposure/promotion for the vast majority of creators")

*this is the biggest reason and probably the most important. Fan works and anything that shows a butt crack or hint of a breast would be no longer allowed

Honestly, I think you just showed the best points, fr.

Webcomic is a niché genre anyways, and would hate to see ComicFury go the Webtoons route. Was just thinking about reach and numbers, but yeah, ain't worth it.
19th Nov 2022, 1:27 PM #5

There's a Mobile Site viewer. We literally do not need an app methinks
Underworld approved! image
20th Nov 2022, 5:18 AM #6
I've been wondering about this because as soon as I realized how cool this website was, I went looking for the app and couldn't find it. I'd love an app, but I can understand why there isn't one. (This site is still awesome though, and actually works, unlike DeviantART, which is a nightmare on a cellphone.)
21st Nov 2022, 1:12 AM #7
mitchellbravo:The short answer is there isn't, I'll list some of the reasons I remember:

Regarding appstore, how about having just an apk and ipk available, first to sideload into your android phone, the second for jailbroken iPhones? Or put it on stores that don't do censorship BS like Cydia (is that still even a thing) or FDroid. And regarding the development itself, there are web wrappers available, such as Cordova that let you make an app out of a website.
23rd Nov 2022, 6:45 PM #8

this is the best answer imo, its really hardcore to know that this site is ran by one dude tho

23rd Nov 2022, 8:26 PM #9
mitchellbravo:Having an app would require the app being in the app store

Not necessarily. I have apps on my phone that aren't available on the app store, but the APK had to be searched for. A link to the download link on the front page could alleviate that problem somewhat, but there wouldn't be much of a reach outside the site/active users. It would be a real hassle to deal with on top of actually developing/updating the app itself, but I thought I should mention that it wouldn't have to be on the app store.

I should mention that what I'm talking about relates to Android. I'm not sure how it would work in regard to iOS, though I'm sure it's not too different.
Buskers, my music project, located here.
23rd Nov 2022, 8:36 PM #10
The mobile site viewer is better than many other mobile site viewers I've used. I can only imagine an app being a downgrade.
23rd Nov 2022, 8:44 PM #11
Birb is the Worb
It’s hard to think of any possible benefit having an app would bring, that we can’t sort of get already.
23rd Nov 2022, 8:54 PM #12
Regional Manager of the Jungle
If comic fury ever has an app it should be a cf branded mobile game where u can play to earn exclusive star powers

mitchellbravo: comic fury is really built by just one dude-

when I told my mom this she told me I should ask kyo if he needs any help
23rd Nov 2022, 9:55 PM #13
Mooderator
Omg Andy it's advertised to look like a webcomic host app but when you download it it's actually just a connect three game
24th Nov 2022, 2:06 AM #14

If the reason for your wanting an app is in order to get push notifications for new updates to your phone... well,
Download feeder (android) or reeder 5 (ios) and subscribe to your RSS feed with push notifications enabled. You can also subscribe to specific comics by using https://thewebcomics.domain.com/rss
24th Nov 2022, 5:02 AM #15

On top of what everyone else has said. There’s just *no reason to.*

The strife that making this place would cost will not be worth the potential new users the app might bring in. We have a way to get push notifs on your phone. And if it’s just convience you want, you can add websites to your home screen.

imageimage image
24th Nov 2022, 5:52 AM #16
Kyo
🐊
It comes up every now and again, and I'm not even totally against the idea on principle or anything, I mean the app could just be built like the rest of the site, with creator control in mind. The big thing is (as has been mentioned) that the site has less strict content guidelines than both app stores, so if there were to be an app, it would not be able to show all webcomics on the site. For that reason the community sentiment has been generally negative towards the idea, and so there has not been much incentive to make an app.

I do know about sideloading, which is possible on android but not ios (without jailbreaking). but even on android you have to navigate deep into your settings menu and click through scary warnings to enable it, so that would really limit the potential audience to the point of not being worth it, I think. I mean if your app has to come with an explanation on "just ignore the scary warning about the security implications", that seems kind of dodgy, right?
24th Nov 2022, 6:13 AM #17
Botanist
i believe ios can sideload, its there for developers to test their stuff. but theres a limit to how many different ones you can sideload i think.
my question would be, how to deliver updates to keep it safe, because i think that's the app stores function.
24th Nov 2022, 6:18 AM #18
Kyo
🐊
unless something has changed in recent years (which is possible), you need an apple developer account for that, which is a 100 bucks. but yeah, updates are of course another concern with sideloading.
24th Nov 2022, 6:24 AM #19
In regard to sideloading, that's exactly what I was talking about: it would be too much of a hassle to even be worth it. Plus, not every Tom, Dick, and Harriet coming here is going to be tech-savvy enough to figure that stuff out.

Besides, an app would be a real pain to maintain in regard to having all the features the website has. Look at Bandcamp (the site I upload my music to) for a good example. Both apps for it (fan and artist) are terrible. I read enough reviews of the artist app saying that people can't even upload tracks though it, which would be the only purpose of having it on your device. The mobile site there works just fine, and if you can't see everything that you need, just switch to desktop mode.
Buskers, my music project, located here.
24th Nov 2022, 6:46 AM #20

Andy G.:when I told my mom this she told me I should ask kyo if he needs any help

no joke i think about whether kyo might need some help at least once a month
Pages: 1 2