Forum > General discussion > ComicFury app
Pages: 1 2
11 days ago, 6:56 AM #21
Botanist
Kyo:unless something has changed in recent years (which is possible), you need an apple developer account for that, which is a 100 bucks. but yeah, updates are of course another concern with sideloading.

a quick google on 'is developer account still needed' says it isn't.
but the site i was reading when i made my first response suggested you might need certain equipment to actually get the file into the device to start the sideload.
im not an apple guy, grain of salt, i could be way off.

---
random idea, but if youre a comic author reading this, and you're dead set on people reading your comics on mobile, something you could try is: on the first comic page you do, be it a cover or maybe in your authors comments, give the steps on how to make a bookmark that puts the icon shortcut onto their homescreen.
11 days ago, 11:47 AM #22
Kyo:unless something has changed in recent years (which is possible), you need an apple developer account for that, which is a 100 bucks. but yeah, updates are of course another concern with sideloading.

There are alternative appstores on Android without much oversight or rules other than "don't upload malware" such as FDroid and there's Cydia on jailbroken iPhones (though not sure about their moderation practices), so you can get updates if you upload it there (or if you are smart you can make a self-updating app).

Though enabling sideloading is one of the first things I do on Android after getting a new phone and those who don't know how or are unwilling to do so are people who you really don't want here (most of them are computer-illiterate and may have "moral panic" mindset).
11 days ago, 12:02 PM #23
I just put comicfury on my home screen and the vertical scroll makes it feel like an app. I personally wouldn’t bother downloading a cf app off a third party app store- but mostly out of laziness than anything else.

I imagine the number of people who don’t care enough about circumventing the App Store to download a single app is much higher than people who have moral issues with it.

11 days ago, 12:27 PM #24
Mooderator
darkhog:

Though enabling sideloading is one of the first things I do on Android after getting a new phone and those who don't know how or are unwilling to do so are people who you really don't want here (most of them are computer-illiterate and may have "moral panic" mindset).

I mean, I don't? I think you might be overestimating here
11 days ago, 12:32 PM #25

Yeah, that sounds like a heap of sweeping generalization with a side-dish of moral judgment over something that isn't a moral failing.
11 days ago, 2:50 PM #26
On a Break from Poodles 🐩🗡️
i am one of the most computer-savvy people i know personally (humble brag) and i haven't the faintest clue as to how to do sideloading. big generalization bud lol

as for a cf app, i echo pretty much everyone else's sentiments here. if the point of the app is to expand visibility and reach, then having the app go on a d-list 3rd party app store or require some sort of weird workaround in order to even work flies completely in the face of that

i do wonder if it would be possible to make an app that only allows direct access to the comic sites that are safe for the app store, but for those that aren't, gives the user a warning and simply links to it in their browser? i'm unsure of how the rules work in that regard but i'm just spitballing here lol
11 days ago, 6:32 PM #27

Sideloading is very easy, you just allow apps from third parties in your android device's settings, but it is strange to suggest that everyone who doesn't is computer illiterate?

I have it enabled because I use apps like youtube vanced which removes ads, but if you're not using an app that needs sideloading then there's no reason for you to bother to enable it no matter how technically literate you are.

That said, if you're using an android phone i do recommend switching to firefox's app so you can use the ublock origin adblock extension on your phone's browser, and get youtube vanced so you dont have to be bombarded with ads and sponsorships :)

Anyway back to darkhog's comment—lack of tech literacy is not an indication of moral integrity. Incredibly bizarre thing to suggest.

I'm a firm believer in making knowledge of tech more accessible and encouraging a greater generalised tech literacy for everyone. You can't expect people to know things if you don't tell them, and shaming and making digs at their individual character is no way to encourage anyone to learn. Acting like that is how you encourage computer illiteracy.
11 days ago, 7:47 PM #28
paid to be there and look good
Well, thank goodness I've sideloaded stuff before so I can be in the cool kids club.
11 days ago, 7:52 PM #29
Kyo
🐊
alright folks, i think the point has been made. let's move on from it, please.
4 days ago, 6:01 PM #30

Harrie:If the reason for your wanting an app is in order to get push notifications for new updates to your phone... well,
Download feeder (android) or reeder 5 (ios) and subscribe to your RSS feed with push notifications enabled. You can also subscribe to specific comics by using https://thewebcomics.domain.com/rss

It's more because the ppl that use webtoons and such would reeally not really do that themselves, is much more simple to just get an app on the appstore than to go to the website and do that.

I myself prefer ComicFury the way it is, the point is getting more reach for the website.

Edit: Closing the thread, just noticed the conversation ended a week ago, lmao. My bad.
Forum > General discussion > ComicFury app
Pages: 1 2