Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - The Descended

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Shameless Advertisement > The Descended
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [7]

"The Descended", 12th Apr 2011, 2:07 AM #1
ranger_brianna_new
_version
Registration date: 20th Dec 2009
The Descended takes place in the fictional world of Soano, a world governed by a built-from-scratch RPG system. Specifically, it follows the quests and stories of three adventuring groups: The Outcasts, The Elementals, and The Latens, on their missions to become stronger for their own various reasons.

Hilarity--if Brian's doing his job correctly--will ensue.

Updates every Monday at 6:00 PM Pacific Standard Time.

Original Opener:

Artist Note: In The Descended, I'm Brian, not Ranger.

Anyway, I thought I'd make this eventually.

Key note, the comic's not currently updating. I'm making this thread as yet another way to remind me to keep working on it. As you're about to see in my following post, the comic's far from dead; it's getting to a point of rebirth.

Edit: We're now updating!
Since this is a relaunch and the original comics are still there (for the moment), I'll list the updates for your convenience.
Arc 0 Cover: While not a comic, it is the beginning of my relaunch. (Edit: Has now been updated!)
Comic 1: The first page of my reboot, covering half the material of the original first comic.
Comic 2: The second page of my reboot, covering the other half of the original first comic.
Comic 3: The third page of the reboot, covering the first half of the original second comic.
Comic 4: Originally part of Comic3, this is the fourth page of the reboot, covering the second half of the original second comic.
Comic 5: The fifth (though intended as fourth) page of the reboot, covering the first third part of the original third comic.
Comic 6, the sixth page of the reboot, the first page in a new new style. :P Continues to cover what was originally the third comic.
Comic 7, the seventh page of the reboot, and second in new style.
"Current List:", 12th Apr 2011, 2:40 AM #2
ranger_brianna_new
_version
What I've Got Done:
-Characters. I've got as much done there as I can without it being full of spoilers.
-Inspiration. Characters are done. I've also gotten that link to the old world setting. "What about some of the other inspirations? Like the ones listed on the comic profile?"
...Uh...those will be listed when I finish the About page. See below.

Actively Being Worked On:
-About Page. This page contains pretty much all the details of the world: how every class works. Since I'm still working on it, the page is obviously incomplete. However, at least I got a link there to what I currently had when I started making the webcomic. (Not much, eh? Yeah, sadly, I've still got a lot of work to do.)

*Another thing I've finished on the About Page is the Stats the world uses. I know there are a nice even number (10) of stats, and that the max level is 999, which is achieved at 999,999 EXP, and at that point, it should be possible to have at least half of the stats completely maxed out, if not more.

*Yet ANOTHER thing I just finished was a more detailed alignment system. Anyone who's seen the characters knows that their alignments don't quite fit the typical perceptions of said alignment under the standard nine-alignment chart that up to this point the comic's been using. What did I do? I added a third axis: Cynicism versus Idealism. The end result was a 27-alignment system. It's not perfect, and still needs polishing touches, but it's a pretty clever idea.

*Something which needs more work is the Elements. I've established the Wheel for the base-eight. But did you know that there's actually 29 combinations of elements? Add in the base-8, and you get 37 possible elements. The Elemental Wheel establishes the Base-8 weaknesses (and therefore, also strengths if you reverse the Wheel), but I once saw a really cool Elemental Wheel for a Five-Element system which delved deeper into it and I want to explore the concept fully. So, I'll say that it's semi-satisfactory, but is still something I want to elaborate on.

-TVTropes Page. Yes, I have one. And am currently working on expanding it. The reasons for this are multiple. For starters, very few ComicFurians have very good, well-kept TVTropes pages. If they were on Wikipedia, they'd be called stubs. :P
I wanted one.
More than that, making a TVTropes page is something I've never done for my comic before. By making one, I am solidifying it as existing, as being real, as being something worthy of working on.
The last reason? Well...

I basically have three ways I intend to bring in viewers to The Descended.

*Word of Mouth. If people like the comic, they'll tell others about it. This tends not to work very well for most people. But, let's say that someone is Magravan on TOGM... ;)
Of course, it's worthless if I force people to do so. I would much prefer if people link to my comic, it's because they genuinely like it, have read it, enjoy it, and do so by choice--not because I ask. (Not even subtly.)

*Related to the above, Forums. This is a bit more of a direct way of advertising, so I tend to not like it as much, unless it's still somewhat subtle. I plan on making the Writer's Mind banner in my sig reduced to around the size of the WSA link and put on the same line, so that I can fit a The Descended banner in my sig without my sig being unreasonably long. I've made this thread, and if it's updated, then it'll draw in viewers. And there are other ways on the forum, too. (Basically, I wouldn't go, "READ MY COMIC." Again, I hate to force it on others. I want them to choose on their own free will to go.)

*The third?
...TVTropes. Once the comic begins updating regularly, I can go in with confidence and edit in on the trope pages content for The Descended, like Ice and I did for some of the tropes in the Werewolf game. If they see said well-constructed TVTropes page, and the comic's alive and updating, and they like it, who knows?

...So, with it being one of the main attracting features to the webcomic, I want it to be as good as it possibly can be.

It's also a very convenient way for me to dump a lot of information conveniently into the comic. Expand on the backstory and such. In other words, yet another way for a lot of work to get done on the webcomic, despite no new comic pages.

Things I Still Need To Do:

-Fanart Page. :)
-Start Releasing New pages. Oh, how much I want to.
-Complete Backstory? (Dang, I forgot what it was.) All non-spoiler backstories on the characters, instead of the brief version on the Character Page.
-Various other things I currently haven't thought of but will need to be done.
20th Apr 2011, 7:38 AM #3
ranger_brianna_new
_version
I have a new Blog Entry on the comic.

Something I didn't mention in there is this:

This Will Eventually Be Found In The About Page:Absorbsion: Absorbing is when an attack of one element is converted into health. If you have 25% absorbsion, you gain 1/4th of an attack’s health. You still take 75% damage, however.
If you have 50% absorbsion, you gain half an attack’s health, but take the other half. (Canceling itself out, effectively.)
If you have 100% absorbsion, the full power of an attack is converted into health.
If you have 200% absorbsion, the attack’s strength is doubled and converted into health.

This is different from damage reduction, however.

Absorbsion is specifically healing. You can’t have negative absorbsion. You can have negative damage reduction.

Damage reduction works as you might expect: 25% damage reduction means you take 75% of normal damage, 100% damage reduction means you take no damage, 50% damage reduction means you take half damage, etc. It can’t go above 100%, just like absorbsion can’t go into the negatives. It can, however, go into the negatives itself. -50% damage reduction means a 50% increase in damage. -100% means a 100% increase in damage (doubling the attack), etc.

The two augment each other. For instance, say you have 25% absorbsion, and 50% damage reduction.

An attack of 100 damage comes towards you.
You’re healed by 25 points, and there’s only 75 points of damage left.
Said 75 is then cut in half by the 50% reduction, so you take only 38 damage. With the absorbsion, that’s really only 13 damage.

Another example—
50% absorbsion and 25% damage reduction.
An attack of 200 damage comes towards you.
You’re healed by 100 points, and the remaining 100 is still in effect.
The damage reduction kicks in, and you only take 75 damage.
In this case, you’re healed by 25 points, due to the interaction between absorbsion and reduction.

Reduction never comes first.

So, let’s say you have -50% damage reduction, and 75% absorbsion.

An attack is destined to do 200 damage to you.

You absorb 150 of the 200, and there’s only 50 left.
You then have that 50 increased by 50%, making it 1.5 times its normal damage, so receive 75 damage.

This way, you can’t exploit, say, 200 damage coming in, amplifying the damage to 400 (with a -100% damage reduction) and absorb 100% of it. And it also means that you absorb first, so don’t have your damage reduction screw with how much health you end up with.

Seems intuitive enough to me.
23rd Apr 2011, 10:07 AM #4
ranger_brianna_new
_version
Just a note--
Since my laptop where I store most of my work is acting up, work on The Descended is being delayed by larger issues. BAH! >_<

On a side-note,
ranger_brian_new:Things I Still Need To Do:
-Fanart Page. :)
Is now done. Currently only has three things in there, all by my request in the Sketch My Character thread. If all goes according to plan, eventually, I won't need to ask for fanart and will instead receive it naturally. ;)
However, replacing that with Something which ALSO needs to be done...

-Signature Alteration. Essentially, I plan to squish the Writer's Mind link in my signature to be around the same size of the WSA link, and to put both on the same line as Wolf Hunt's banner is in my sig. This'd create room for a link to The Descended, increasing views from people reading my forum stuff. :)
"I'd say I'm back, but I'm really not, yet.", 23rd Apr 2012, 7:09 AM #5
ranger_brianna_new
_version
Well, I've logged in for the first time in over a year (no seriously, I checked the dates! Pretty much exactly just over one year since my last log-in), and you just know that there's gotta be a reason. In this case, I've been working on updating my site a lot.

Right now, my current effort is on expanding a few pages. I have actually gone through the work of gathering all my inspirations, so that page is getting a slight revamp. (By which I mean "major overhaul". :P) I've also gone on a massive uploading spree of photos that I've created, since I have literally thousands of pictures I've created with DOZENS of programs devoted to my characters.

I've also created a "Cast Appearance" page, which is much as you'd expect from the name. :P

Another page in for a major Overhaul is the Character page. I've gotten it about a third done (AKA, am almost finished with The Elementals and have started The Latens), and in the end, I'm hoping for an improved look overall, with more detail which is up to date.

Related to the Character Page, I'm also working on creating the "Character Backstories" page(s), since I've actually gotten most of those done as well, and they can be linked to on said Character Page in the appropriate section.

And that's just what I've begun to do here, on-site. Off-site, I've begun working on making my TVTropes page super-awesome (it's already the longest TVTropes page out of all ComicFury webcomics, though the sub-pages aren't as fleshed out as I'd prefer). But there's more than that, too!

In addition to having gotten the characters' personalities down, in addition to having nailed their backstories solidly, in addition to having finally found what they look like, in addition to having been working on the game mechanics (see my blog post for more on that), I've also worked on the script!

That's right, I actually have the plot for the next few comics worked out!

The ONLY thing keeping me from going further is that I need to have a fight, and to have a fight, I need the combat system (which I'm working on), but I've gotten it started, meaning that once all the work is done, I could theoretically start releasing updates immediately! :D

So there's a ton of work to do on the combat system, and a few quirks which need to be worked out of the system, but still, this is a LOT of progress for me. :)
23rd Apr 2012, 7:20 AM #6
MatthewJA
Usertitle Hater
Registration date: 26th Sep 2010
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANGER

I am excited to see this when you have it ready
You seem to be putting a lot in :D
"You have no idea... :P", 23rd Apr 2012, 4:07 PM #7
ranger_brianna_new
_version
Indeed. Speaking of which, I finally got around to putting a link to the comic in my sig. (Though I will be forced to make modifications to that image later, as, well, that's just the cast which has already appeared; there are more cast members to come. :P)

Right now, I think my main focus is to finish mages. Warriors, I can bluff skills for if needed (since boiled down, they do nothing more than stabidy stab stab stab and slashity slash slash slash :P), Rogues, I can bluff techniques for, but mages? They cast spells; that's a little hard to fake. :P

And right now, there are a few things I need. (By which, I mean a lot. :P)

-Polish up the Light Mage spells. I'm fairly certain that's what I want them to be overall, but I still feel like they could use a liiiiittle bit of work.
*Especially when it comes to names. I have a whole list of names relating to the light element. Here are just a few.

Words relating to light, words relating to healing, words related to religion, words related to morality, words related to revealing deception, words relating to perspective, words relating to Gods...you get the idea. That's only a partial list. :P
I want to select witty, clever, clear and original names, but at the same time, being side-by-side with names that are taken from games, as Shout-Outs.

-Once I get Light out of the way, there's Darkness. Darkness has to do with illusions. So I need to research the concept of illusions as spells, see what kind of creative things I can come up with. I might need to resort to hard light and other similar tropes in order to get a full list.

-Wind's more or less sorted out, with only a few abilities needing to be defined.

-However, Water I have nothing on. It has to do with manipulation--both physical and mental. Making an element entirely centered around that is going to be...a little bit difficult. Research will of course be required, but unlike with Darkness above, I'm not sure how much I can really get. As I mentioned in the blog, the closest I can think to Water being used for manipulation is in Magic: The Gathering where Blue has this role (in contrast to Red, which is for speed).

-After that, I need to find 19 other abilities to give ALL mage--preferably things not covered by the abilities any specific element mage has at their disposal (as that would be redundant, rendering one of the two obsolete), but preferably still having a lot of unique abilities which are useful and still powerful.

And that'd be just for the mages. I've got pretty much nothing on the warriors or rogues, though strictly speaking, I don't really need them for the purposes of making the webcomic.
23rd Apr 2012, 4:08 PM #8
Frosty
SPEED LINES EVERYWHERE
Registration date: 20th Feb 2010
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA RANGER HI D8
23rd Apr 2012, 4:09 PM #9
Espeh

Registration date: 20th Feb 2010
RANGER OMG OMG OMG RANGER
IM LEGIT SHOUTING RANGER THROUGH THE HOUSE RIGHT NOW WHY AM I-

Its good to see you.
ALSO this sounds fascinating and merits more indepth reading, huzzah!
23rd Apr 2012, 4:15 PM #10
Onecanofsprite

Registration date: 3rd Apr 2010
RANGER! Thank god man, we need a decent analyser for our forum games and somebody to lynch day one!
"Not quite yet.", 26th Apr 2012, 12:05 AM #11
ranger_brianna_new
_version
That'll have to wait until after I actually start updating the comic, OCOS.

Speaking of which, I've basically dumped every single D&D illusion-spell into the document to use as research, plus the descriptions of illusions, invisibility, and similar things. It's over 36 pages long, and I'm not *quite* done tracking down my sources yet (though I am most of the way there)--but needless to say, I've gotten ideas already for the element, as the spells which I found range from "totally awesome" to "a little overpowered" to "who THINKS of this junk?" to "Neat, but not applicable for my idea of 'illusions'" to "Neat, but I'd need to make some sort of spell for things this spell counters". (A lot of illusion spells have to do with concealment from magic like scrying, when I don't actually have any spells which can do that, yet. :P) It's a lot to process, but I think once I'm done processing it, I'll have enough to make a full spell tree for Darkness, which'd leave the only mage element left as Water.
"And introducing...", 6th May 2012, 8:30 PM #12
ranger_brianna_new
_version
I've gotten a new and improved Character Sheet!

"Looks the same to me." (Liar; you don't read the webcomic enough to remember what it used to look like. :P)

You'll have to scroll down to see the changes, as they're still being implemented for The Outcasts, since I've been working a lot on The Elementals instead (since they're the group I most neglect). But let's talk about changes made since I've come back.

-The opening paragraph was slightly altered to give a link to the appearance page, where I ramble about what my characters look like beyond the sprite art. Y'know, just in case someone actually cared. (Hint: they don't. :P)

-The Index now also includes Chaos (who was absent before), Voss, Ian, and David (who weren't named before), along with a section for me, Artist. Not that I've actually added anything TO those sections yet, mind you, but still, they exist! :P

(Speaking of which, if there's a way to link to a specific part of a page, that'd be helpful, so that people could click the links in the index and actually be taken to the appropriate section on the page--I don't know how to do that if it's even possible, yet it'd be extremely convenient to implement.)

-The Elementals (soon to be The Latens as well [just after I post this in fact], now that I've seen the format work for The Elementals) section has had their picture updated to be more accurate and also in a slightly better format. Not only that, but their description which was horribly out-of-date has now been made accurate. (Again, The Latens are about to receive a similar treat.)

-I've also uploaded new pictures for all The Elementals and The Latens, with The Outcasts next on my to-do list. Also, as soon as I touch up the above (add in The Latens stuff I am talking about in these parenthesis statements you ignore :P), I'm going to be slightly updating their profiles to include slightly more info:

-Their quote will be above them (and I now have one for all Elementals!), the link to their profile will link to a more-updated-and-detailed profile, Genders, Fighting Style, Bio (which will also have a link to their complete backstory once I put in that page), and Personality are all extras which I'm about to add.

All in all, it'll be a little bit cleaner, with more detail than before and slightly better organization, making it feel a little more...well, useful and professional. :D

Note--it would appear that I made small errors on both images. For The Elementals, I misspelled Rogue as Rouge for Tyra's class. For The Latens, I listed Nathan as a Martial Artist; he's a Warrior. Oops.

EDIT: The work on the profiles for The Elementals is all done except for M, except for the fact that I haven't yet completed their bio (backstory) pages. The Latens description and picture are now of course uploaded, though as noted above I made a slight error.

I've yet to do The Outcasts, and haven't done the Bio (backstory) pages for anyone, yet, but we're getting there.
"All work and no play...", 14th May 2012, 1:11 AM #13
ranger_brianna_new
_version
So a wave of inspiration hit me (Bandkanon's Zero Effort was the trigger), and in doing so, I cleaned up and improved a lot of my pages.

-Characters: the smallest of the changes, I finished M's profile and am working on Kinas's.

-About page: It may not look like much of an improvement, but believe me, this page was pretty much junk before today, where it actually got useful. It's what I'm currently working on expanding, by looking at other "About" pages (such as Zero Effort's mentioned above), along with comic descriptions and TVTropes summaries to see what I can add in to summarize it quickly, and then how to go into further detail.

-Inspiration: The page was cleaned up, had its descriptions revamped, ordered more neatly, and overall was improved. Technically, I still need to finish the second page, about how the world of Soano has been inspired by other works--but that's something which needs to be done side-by-side with the About page which gives how the world of Soano works. :P

-Fan Stuff: Will probably be renamed "Extras" page, but as you can tell by the url, it used to be my fanart page. (All three of them. All by request. Meaning none of them are true fanart, and are more like "person decided to be nice and create-for-me art". :P) Now it's got extra stuff on it, and includes other comics which have inspired my own. (This is where I'll probably be putting the section on Order of the Stick and Anti-Heroes, for instance, rather than a section on them in the inspiration page.)

-New Blog: (Yay, recursion!) Mostly saying "pay attention to my shameless advertising thread", but still, it's a blog entry nonetheless! :P

So I'm not quite to having things done, yet. Obviously, there's still a lot to do.
-The backstory page(s) need to be finished. (Started, even. I have the text in a word document done up to Sinaer, but haven't created their pages yet.)
-I need to finish the Characters page. I've finished The Elementals, but that still leaves The Latens, The Outcasts, and after I finish them, touching up the other sections.
*(Speaking of Character Pages, I have a TVTropes version which is in equally sad shape.
~I'm on hiatus from working on the main page, though, since I have a minimum of 44 pages to go through, see if their tropes apply, and if so to who, and then go through the related tropes TO those pages which is anywhere from 2-5 times the given number, especially when going to tropes related to THOSE pages, and so on. It's for a cause, of course, to expand my TVTropes page and get all the tropes which apply to the series...but still, a WikiWalk is a WikiWalk no matter how you try to dress it up, and that'd mean hours if not days of my time wasted. :P)

-The About page is one of the largest focuses, because it's what I need to use to create the rules of the Soano RPG. AKA, what I need to make my planned test-run of the game mechanics to see if they're balanced (I promise not to be too sadistic...... :P), and of course actually create the comic, since the comic is supposed to RUN on the rules of the World of Soano which the About Page is supposed to have.

-The Inspiration page is the other main focus, because it's going hand-in-hand with the About Page, helping me chronicle what has inspired my world, and how it got incorporated into the final product.

-And while it's not a critical detail, I'd like the Fan Stuff/Extras page to be a little more detailed than it is, since right now I've only got the one link in there out of the many I need to link to. (Pretty much every comic I've subscribed to needs to go in there, for starters. Plus any comics which I took a layout influence from--you know, like seeing their About page and going, "Wow, mine needs to learn a thing or two from them". :P And after that, probably a list of comics which I've read that helped get me where I am--obvious ones like Order of the Stick, Anti-Heroes, and Goblins of course topping the list.)

It's slightly slower in some areas than in others. I'm working on four or so different inspirations as of right now (Let's see...Castle of the Winds, RPG Shooter Starwish, Final Fantasy Legend II, FFL III touchups, and one previous unmentioned because I only now started taking from it, The Elder Scrolls* for their Illusion school of magic), and they're just the tip of the iceberg.

*If I actually had the games, they'd probably be a lot larger of an influence, though. From what the games sound like, they're similar to the Fable series of games...and the Fable games are one of the Big Three (along with D&D and AEGames such as AQ and DF) series of games which inspired The Descended in the first place.
"Small stuff, but still, stuff!", 15th May 2012, 2:34 AM #14
ranger_brianna_new
_version
So much work to do, so little concentration to actually do it. :P

-I've done the backstory pages. (WARNING--SPOILERS WITHIN!)

Up to and including Kinas, at least. You'll note the three links rather than the planned one; that's because apparently (just like the inspiration page), the backstory page exceeds the length limit given for extra pages. (I have no clue why it cuts off like that, but it does, and it's highly annoying. But it is what it is.)

I'm currently working on individual backstories, linked in the Bio section on the Characters page, which are spoiler-free versions of the above.

-I've done a lot of work on the About page, having gotten my start with a little tip from my good friend MatthewJA. Basically, the plan is as such:

*Create all 20 Abilities (the Tech Trees) for all three classes, as well as how they evolve (there are 60 abilities total, each with 5 levels, for a total of 300 levels, meaning characters will average one ability per level), and preferably prerequisites if existing. How much they cost would be an added bonus, too.

*In a new section, Do the same for all 14 Elemental Abilities for all 24 Elemental Tech Trees, along with any Abilities which are from combos, such as Wind/Energy's Drain5 and how those special abilities work.

*And in another section, Work on the battle system.

And from there, fill in the gaps as needed. Probably give a little more about the world of Soano, other than just the stats, alignments, class/element combos, and combat systems it uses. Like the setting, how races are handled, what the world is like, little things like that. Lots of work, lots of research, but hey, I've got a good start! (Well, relatively-good, anyway. It still comes across as not being perfect, and I'm not sure I deliver things clearly enough to people. :/)
"One small step...", 15th May 2012, 4:22 AM #15
ranger_brianna_new
_version
And I feel like I've made a giant leap. I know it's pretty pathetic how small the update is, but the About page now has more details on every single stat, giving players a better idea of what each does and why none of them are useless, even if some are better suited to certain classes. (That's the idea. :P)

I'll probably be doing similarly-expanded updates on everything mentioned in the Fundamentals section--The Elemental Wheel, The Elements' general personality traits, Items and how they evolve, The Alignment Spectrum, and a section on "The Goal".

The section on "The Goal" basically boiled down will probably say something like,
While the motives of every single character are diverse, and every single adventurer is different in what they hope to achieve, there is a goal which most eventually set their sights upon. While they typically never think of it at level 1, or even level 100, when someone gets into the upper-hundreds (~600+), the thought begins to cross their mind that they've become too powerful for the mortal plane. At a certain point, the overall goal for adventures will eventually shift to Ascension--to rise up and become a God, joining other Deities in the upper realm.

Achieved at Level 900, it is not easy to reach that far and 98% of people who try will ultimately fail to reach that high-standard bar. Therefore, when it is actually accomplished, it is the ultimate testament of raw skill, down-right stubbornness, and sheer dumb luck.
"And I did it again", 16th May 2012, 12:07 AM #16
ranger_brianna_new
_version
Once more, I have updated the About page. I wrote "The Ultimate Prize" (an expansion of "The Ultimate Goal" in my last post), and also posted my alignment chart!

Granted, the alignment chart isn't perfect (alignments are something which I as a realistic writer kinda sorta have trouble with. I either see things in black-and-white, gray-and-grey, gray-and-black, black-and-black, or no-alignments-at-all-total-realism. :P), but I think it's a dang-strong system, acting as a solid guideline for anyone wanting to create a character.

(That said, when people DO start creating characters, I won't require them to list if they're ideal/typical/cynical. I WILL require an alignment, and of course would ask them to give their place on the third axis if they think they know it, but I can understand if people didn't and therefore wouldn't require it of them.)

Pretty soon I'll get back to working on the classes, but I kinda sorta want to put in a section on the Elements, to at least get that started as well.
"Not a traitor, honest.", 17th May 2012, 9:20 PM #17
ranger_brianna_new
_version
So today, I meant to do research relating to the Warrior class. Didn't happen.

I didn't waste my time, though. I went around and did a lil' research. On my program of choice, Paint.

I know most of these, and use half of these,
Though I didn't know all of them. (Unfortunately, the resize-with-control feature doesn't seem to work for me, no matter how hard I try. And I think Windows 7 Paint has it as well, but same story; it won't work. :/)

I then did a self-comparison with Paint to 7Paint, and (contrary to my original conclusion) it's not that bad, able to do MOST of what Paint can do. Overall, 7Paint is actually more versatile, though the interface is harder to work with. The main features it lacks is a square brush, the Eraser trick (which I use all the time), and the auxiliary color (Control+Click on a color).

(Oh, and its got an alias feature--it'd be handy if there was a way to turn it OFF, but there isn't, so it's annoying when you don't WANT aliasing.)

Pretty much the only things it can't do are layers (which I don't really need, especially not when I have no backgrounds), transparency (probably related to having no layers, and it's basically a feature which I'd only use for flashbacks and for Aria), and the ability to rotate less than 90 degrees. (And no way to turn aliasing off.)

...All of which Paint.NET has, hence why I downloaded it today. Of course, Paint.NET probably has a heck of a lot more than Paint, but quite frankly, most of the stuff it has is stuff I'd never use; the features I just mention are pretty much the only thing I'll probably be using it for.

(With my given artstyle, there's not much I really need when drawing. There might be some things which are neat, a cool effect which I might be able to use once or twice but are overall just not needed for anything I plan on doing. My art's simple. It doesn't need to be more complex. Extra features just adds mess which I don't really need.)

Once I manage to navigate the interface, that is. (Probably can track down a tutorial somewhere for those features specifically. And the antialiasing one is just for text; I don't really use the tools which get aliased in my art, but I do use text which gets aliased when it shouldn't. I kinda sorta figured out the rotate one, but not really. I also had trouble figuring out how to use layers that well, also something probably not too hard to learn.)

The more features a program has, the harder it is to navigate through them; Paint 7 has more than Paint and is harder, Paint.NET has a LOT more than Paint 7 and therefore is a mess to get through.

Anyway, as it stands, I'll probably be using Windows 7 Paint (except for the things mentioned which I need in Paint.NET), though I might use the original paint, since that's what I had been using.

Also, who the heck linked to my comic without telling me? :P SOMEONE did. I've been averaging 5 visits (unique views) a day.

Yesterday had 25. Today has so far had 20. Nothing *I* have done could have caused that.
"This is gonna suck. :P", 19th May 2012, 7:35 AM #18
ranger_brianna_new
_version
So I did the research. At least, part of it. I didn't get enough time to finish it, unfortunately. However, I got all of the three base classes in DF (one of my sources) and threw in the Ranger class for good effect. I've got some info from AQ (though not nearly as much as I was hoping to gain) as well. There's still more AEGames I can search, but I'm thinking of instead moving on to other sources of class inspiration. Once I get AQ finished, well, the other games I don't really know as well as AQ and DF. (Heck, I stopped playing regularly and following along with the DN that I barely even know *THOSE* games, yet alone, the others.) And while each game gives a unique gameplay element, almost all can trace the important roots I'm trying to get inspiration from (such as stats, elements, balance between classes and their overall playstyle) to one or both of the games, meaning that AEGames are nearing their limit to how much I can learn.
So, again, that means I need to move onto other material.

An obvious one is Fable; it has a magic-melee-range system throughout all three games. There are probably others among the 42+ sources of inspiration I have, but it's the main one. Which'd require either lots of wiki work (once I find a decent Fable wiki, which I'm basically just assuming would exist since there's a wiki for everything :P), researching everything, or (equally as tedious) basically making my own wiki on the Fable games by booting up my X-Box with my laptop open and keeping notes on all three games as I play along. (When each takes hours--if not days--of gameplay to max your characters' abilities out, ESPECIALLY when you have to work out how to get the gold for said stuff, exploring the economics of the game.) A choice between work (when I haven't even finished doing my Illusions research on Elder Scrolls!), or...more work. :P

But another idea also cropped into my head, and I'm not liking the train of thought. That there's one place which would give me all the information on Warriors, Rogues, and Mages that I would ever need with some careful link-clicking, and from a variety of sources to boot! And best yet, it'd most likely give links of some kind to those dozens--hundreds, even!--different sources for me to access.

There's just a slight problem:

Once you enter, you can never leave. :P

Of course, I'm talking about TVTropes. It wouldn't be that hard to figure out where to start, and where to go from there. The skill I lack is the ability to realize when to stop. :P Still, though, I think it's the best way I can get a variety of what I'm looking for in the least amount of time. No other wiki works like TVTropes does with regards to getting what I need. So I'm going in.

...See you in a few months...... :P
"Jackpot!", 19th May 2012, 7:39 PM #19
ranger_brianna_new
_version
You know, I've seen it be linked to before. Heck, I have it as an example on my TVTropes page, even.

...But I don't think until just now, have I ever actually READ the Fighter Mage Thief page, and boy, is it good. It captures each of the three classes pretty much perfectly--Warriors dish out damage and take it themselves, Mages are weak physically, but dominate in magic (including their choice of weapons! Simple Staff AND Magic Wand), and Rogues both backstab and use ranged weaponry, depending on their preferred style. Just the kind of system I was looking for. :P

While I have a section on Warriors, Rogues, and Mages, it's something which I think I can improve a lot, given that the below is everything in there.
So it's time for an update. Inspiration has hit me to work once again. :D
19th May 2012, 11:05 PM #20
MasterofWeirdness

Registration date: 3rd Nov 2010
Ranger! You're alive! :D